Saturday, May 6, 2017

#79 - Saturday, May 6, 2017 - Girl Scout outreach

I brought my outreach rig (the 8-inch SCT on the Celestron NexStar SE) to Camporee and set it up about 45 minutes before sunset.  Jupiter was visible around sunset, as well as the Moon, of course.  I had a few older girls and adults, and about 30 Daisies and Brownies come by, and we looked at both Jupiter and the Moon.  Lots of oohs and ahs!    It had looked like it was going to stay cloudy, but then it cleared up all of a sudden once I got set up!  So perfect.  My coworker and astro-friend Sarah came to help out as well.

            
Solar system tracking was abysmal, but it got better after I aligned (still drifted off every once in a while though).  Altitude backlash was pretty bad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment