Tuesday, May 16, 2017

#81 - Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - Texas Star Party Prep

Unfortunately, I’m writing this over a month later because I guess I never actually wrote this one.  Let’s see what I can remember.

I got the new CGE Pro mount built, although lifting the mount head onto the equatorial section was very difficult. So the altitude adjustment works in two segments: less than 40 latitude, and greater than 40 latitude.  You have to move a piece in order to switch between the two.  We are at 39 degrees, so you’d think I could leave it on the less than 40 mode, but nope.  I wasn’t quite able to reach the all-star polar alignment star, nor was I able to reach Polaris just doing it that way.  It was close, but not quite, and I couldn’t turn the knob any further (it got super tight near the end).  But I didn’t want to switch into the other mode since I would be in Texas the next week, so I decided to see how well I could do not polar aligned just with guiding.  That didn’t work out so well.  But it was worth a shot!  And I made sure everything was able to talk to each other, and figured out how to build everything.  So it was still a fruitful trip.  And then I just left all the boxes in the car because it would have been too much of a pain in the butt to haul them back upstairs, just to haul them back down on Thursday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment