Wednesday, May 24, 2017

#85 - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - Journey to the Center of the Galaxy (Texas Star Party Night 4)

Another clear night ahead! First C11 target that evening were the Antennae galaxies.  My re-alignment and re-polar alignment was good enough that I decided to try for 7-minute subs, and it worked!  Unfortunately, I didn’t have any darks to match, so the next day I put my camera in Bob’s refrigerator to get a close-enough temperature match.  I also took darks on Miqaela’s camera this way.  I also snagged darks in the morning hours each morning when I went to bed.  I think I need some better darks for this set, though – it didn’t turn out that great.  It came out pretty noisy.  In addition, the focus got crazy bad by the end of the set – the mirror must have shifted as it crossed the meridian.  I re-focused before the next target.  You can see the long tails though, which is cool!  You can’t see them in the subs.
Date: 24 May 2017
Location: Prude Ranch, TX - Texas Star Party
Object: M104 Sombrero Galaxy
Camera: Nikon D5300
Telescope: Celestron C11
Accessories: f/6.3 focal reducer
Mount: Celeston CGE Pro
Guide scope: Orion ST-80
Guide camera: QHY5
Subframes: 7x420s (49m), ISO-1600
Darks: 8
Biases: 20
Flats: 20
Temperature: 45-50F

The second target of the night was the Bubble Nebula, which I’ve attempted before from home, but I had some tracking problems and only got a few usable subframes, so the result was pretty noisy.  This one came out quite nice.
Date: 24 May 2017
Location: Prude Ranch, TX - Texas Star Party
Object: NGC 7635 Bubble Nebula
Camera: Nikon D5300
Telescope: Celestron C11
Accessories: f/6.3 focal reducer
Mount: Celestron CGE Pro
Guide scope: Orion ST-80
Guide camera: QHY5
Subframes: 14?x420s, ISO-1600
Darks: 8
Biases: 20
Flats: 20
Temperature: 43-45F

The noise issue is helped by the fact that I’m slowly learning more techniques in Photoshop.  I discovered that you can edit TIFs in Adobe Camera Raw as well, not just raws (although it works better on raw files), and that includes the denoising and dehazing tools.  They work fantastically well.  The astronomy toolkit I recently bought has some denoising tools as well.  Someday, hopefully in the not-too-distant future, I’ll be able to get a cooled camera, and the noise issue will be mostly behind me…my DSLR is noisy as heck.  

After getting the AVX aligned (I used the Borg to align instead of the C8 this time), I decided I wanted to try Miqaela’s ZWO ASI120MM camera on Jupiter on the C8.  So I got it all attached, slewed over to Jupiter, and fired up SharpCap on Melody’s ultrabook and got it focused.  The clear moments through the atmospheric disturbances looked fantastic.  I couldn’t find the piece I needed to attach the camera to Miqaela’s ZWO filter wheel, so I used mine instead after taking a luminance video, the ones Randy gave me with that old SBIG camera that I still need to try this summer.  I didn’t get to process it until after I got home because I couldn’t get RegiStax to read the AVI files (turned out I just needed to import them into VirtualDub and re-save them as AVI, which RegiStax was perfectly happy with), and HOLY SWEET GOODNESS came out incredible!  My excitement was mounting as I processed each color channel through RegiStax and saw how magnificent they were coming out.  I had to do some color-rebalancing and used only one of the channels for the moons in a copy-and-paste job in Photoshop, but here’s the result!
Date: 24 May 2017
Location: Prude Ranch, TX - Texas Star Party
Object: Jupiter
Camera: ZWO ASI120MM (Miqaela's)
Telescope: Celestron C8
Accessories: RGB filters from Randy Thomas
Mount: Celestron AVX
Guide scope: N/A
Guide camera: N/A
Forgot to record numbers of frames...drat!
3x180s videos, RGB (L had to be eliminated because of dust spot)

Look at that detail!  I don’t know why my DSLR can’t capture that, but this is awesome.  And the CCD camera has a higher dynamic range than my DSLR apparently because I was able to get the moons and Jupiter with the same settings.  I need to get me one of these!!

After Jupiter, I put the DSLR on the Borg and got started around 1:30 AM with the North America Nebula, which I put on my photographic list over a year ago and attempted once but gave up on because I saw absolutely nothing in the subframe.  In these subs, you can kind of see a hint of dark nebulosity, but that’s about it.  But of course, stacking is magical.  I should use this as another one of my examples of “the power of stacking.”  


Date: 24 May 2017
Location: Prude Ranch, TX - Texas Star Party
Object: NGC 7000 North America Nebula
Camera: Nikon D3200 (Miqaela's)
Telescope: Borg 76ED
Accessories: N/A
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Guide scope: N/A
Guide camera: N/A
Subframes: 27x180s (1h21m), ISO-1600
Darks: 20
Biases: 18
Flats: 20
Temperature: 42-45F
Buy on Zazzle

I ought to try this one again with a larger FOV – there’s much more of it.   I’ll have to try with my 55-200mm lens piggybacked or something.  Or the 70-300mm.    

Someone told me about Baade’s Window after seeing my image of M8 and M20, which is a region that is relatively free of the interstellar dust that normally obscures the view of the galactic core.  I titled it “Journey to the Center of the Galaxy” when I posted it online!  It’s pretty awesome.  Millions of stars.  It didn’t stack well in DSS – I don’t think DSS works well on widefields, and is more meant for DSOs alone with black backgrounds – so instead, later, I ran a single frame through DSS just to do dark subtraction and bias correction, and then processed in Photoshop.  I like that result better.
Weird result from DeepSkyStacker (I don't think it likes doing widefields with so many stars)
21x180s, ISO-1600
Date: 24 May 2017
Location: Prude Ranch, TX - Texas Star Party
Object: Baade's Window
Camera: Nikon D3200 (Miqaela's)
Telescope: Borg 76ED
Accessories: N/A
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Guide scope: N/A
Guide camera: N/A
Single frame, 1x180s, notprocessed through DSS

In the center is globular cluster NGC 6522, which is quite possibly the oldest globular cluster in the Milky Way at 12 billion years.  The star in the lower left is Sagittarius star Alnasl, or γ Sgr.
            
As morning drew near, I saw that Cassiopeia is rising, and Cassiopeia means the Andromeda Galaxy!  The Borg would be perfect for M31.  Usually I have to wait till August to image it, but since I was already awake in the morning hours, I decided to snag a few subframes before the sun came up.  And boy am I glad I did!  After 12 attempts to image M31, I finally, finally have one I am mostly happy with.  I’d love to have more data on it to get more detail on those lovely dust lanes, but I’m in love with how this came out!  At long last!
Date: 24 May 2017
Location: Prude Ranch, TX - Texas Star Party
Object: M31 Andromeda Galaxy
Camera: Nikon D3200
Telescope: Borg 76ED
Accessories: N/A
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Guide scope: N/A
Guide camera: N/A
Subframes: 7x180s, ISO-1600
Darks: 20
Biases: 18
Flats: 20
Temperature: 43F

Yeaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!  Another all-nighter.
            
I also did some stuff with my D3100 while the two scopes were going.  I zoomed in on the Milky Way to 60mm on my 55-200mm lens and took 5-second subframes, but the result didn’t come out very well.  Then I also just took more long-exposure of the Milky Way with some foreground like trees and my telescopes.  And me. 😝
Nikon D3100, 18mm @ f/3.5, 30s, ISO-3200

I’ll take this again next year with fewer warm clothes on and make a nice profile pictures out of it!  It’s a 30-second exposure at f/3.5 and ISO-3200.  You can see some trails in the stars if you zoom in, but all the way zoomed out like this, they look fine, and you get some beautiful detail on the Milky Way. 
            
I think Melody and I also went up to the upper field again, and the big Dob was being used, but they were hunting down dim open clusters; I took a peak, but there wasn’t much to see with the bad air and the high magnification they had on it, looking at some dim open cluster that shone mostly in IR, they said.  I don’t remember what it was called.


No comments:

Post a Comment